Writing a Body Paragraph
in a 5 Paragraph Essay
Most of us use the "logical" way to compose a paragraph: begin with a topic sentence and/or transition, then provide support for the topic sentence. Though straightforward, this approach often leads to a weak paragraph, because it does not force the writer to focus on STRONG SUPPORT. A more effective way to write a paragraph is in this order, assembling afterward according to the ASSEMBLING section below:
1) Find a quotation that provides an example that answers the assigned question. Copy the quotation exactly word for word and write down the citation:
2) Write a sentence that introduces the quotation. Identify some of the following: the speaker, the listener, the tone, the setting, the time, and/or some plot details.
3) Write a sentence that paraphrases the meaning of the quotation in your own words.
4) Explain in 1 to 3 sentences how the quotation answers the assigned question.
5) Create a Topic Sentence that summarizes the paragraph and links or transitions the paragraph to the previous paragraph.
ASSEMBLING the Paragraph
After writing, put the sentences in this order: